Saturday, April 10, 2010

Why I am doing an Ironman

Answering the question "Why are you doing an Ironman?" has been asked frequently throughout the past six months. Up to today I have always given the answer it's just something I want to do before I croak. I put it on my bucket list and I figured 2010 was my year to tackle the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon to top it off. I wasn't waiting any longer. I had made up my mind last July to sign up and I was sticking to my decision no matter what.
Two days ago I went out to dinner with Mike and Sean, something we hadn't done in ages. When Sean asked "What do you do while you ride your bike for that long?" I simply said "Ponder my thoughts." I literally think about everything and anything. You name it I have probably thought about from now until when I first started training for my first triathlon. If I have nothing else to think about, I let my mind wander elsewhere. Maybe that's why I got hit by a dog last week; I just wasn't paying attention. Doubt it. I hate that damn dog. Sorry, back to the topic of discussion.
I woke up bright and early Saturday morning just like every other Saturday morning to get in my long ride. I had 80-85 miles planned for the day followed by a 5k run. I prepped the new rig with water bottles, food, and a credit card, got bundled up with layers upon layers of clothing. I set out to ride, made it about 2 miles and realized there is no way I would be able to do this. I couldn't feel my face within ten minutes of the ride and decided to move this ordeal inside on the trainer. This was the last thing I wanted to do today. So I set up fort and set sail for the next four hours. I tweeted, checked facebook, texted Mike and Catherine, listened to tunes, watched the 2009 Ironman World Championships, and thought about the question of "WHY am I doing Ironmn?".
At first I just figured it was the natural progression of any triathlete; Sprint Half, Ironman(never did and Olympic). I felt I was physically and mentally ready to train and prepare for the 140.6 slogfest in Lake Placid. I then started to think about everything that is going into the race. My family, friends, girlfriend, past teachers, present teachers, the sponsors who have trusted me to do race and do well throughout the 2010 season, and ten thousand of people who I have never meet in my life are all coming to watch. The sacrifices in which they make day in and day out to let me train, the money my parents have invested in the accommodations for the days before and after the race. The travel cost and flexibility of everyone working the race into their schedules. I am not doing this race for me; I'm doing this race for everyone who has supported me for the past three years. I then started to think about what it has taken me to get where I am.
I was in my junior year of high school when it all began. Needless to say I was never the most fit kid in my class. Sure I played sports, and was always active, but when you have a mom like mine there is no chance of going to bed hungry. Eating cookie after cookie, I became quite the heffer. After sitting around the campfire one fall night my dad's friend, Henry, was talking about all the marathons he had ran over the past years. I sat there thinking "Ha yeah 26.2...of running!?!?! not happening" Until that one day after the last day of soccer I just kept running, no not like Forest Gump, but I ran everyday for the next year. It may have only been 2-3 miles, but sure enough it was a start. Now to this day everyone thinks I started losing weight for a specific girl, but I can assure you it was not the reason for the change. Believe it or not it was one random day when I was watching the movie Gease when I realized it was time to get my fat ass in shape. I worked hard on eating the right things, exercised daily and the pounds began to wear away. After six months had passed I lost seventy pounds and was the lightest I had been in probabaly ten years. Now I was also one of those "funny fat kids", so I was determined to be the same person as I was before. I had no desire to change who I was on the inside. I still had a desire to be the "funny skinny kid." To the best of my knowledge I think I am still the same person I was all of five years ago.

I sit here typing this five years later and realized that to me, finishing the Ironman will be more than crossing a line in the road, it will be the final straw to show I have made a complete 360 degree turn with my lifestyle. From not being able to run two consecutive miles, to being able to swim, biking and running 140.6 would be the ultimate cherry on top of the sundae(and everyone knows I LOVE ice cream). I am going to line up July 25th in Mirror Lake with one goal in mind. To get to the finish line not only for myself, but for everyone who has been there for me each and every day. Sure I am the one who logs all the miles in the pool or on the road, but it's those who give the motivation to me when I just feel like laying on the couch doing nothing. Those who tell me I'm "good" when I know I am far from it. I may be the one doing the race, and the bib may say my name, but I every step I take on July 25th is for my support system. Without them I wouldnt be nearly as far along in triathlon as I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment